Monday, May 17, 2010

The Clock is ticking...

Not only is the clock ticking for me while I am on the transplant list, there is another clock... the clock of Medicare. Although I am eligible now to go on Medicare, after I have been on dialysis for 30 months, I am forced to take Medicare as my primary health insurance.

I think that it is great that there are systems in place to help people with the high cost of health care, I have a difficult time understanding why I have to take Medicare when I already have health insurance. The good news is I still get to keep my current health care, but it will drop to my secondary coverage.

The upside that I see is that I will have more coverage, not yet understanding what it is, or how the coverage will affect me. From what I understand, for the cost of of dialysis it is wonderful. As far as what else it covers, I am not sure, I hope it is also wonderful.

The downside is that when I am forced into the Medicare coverage, I am also forced into paying the premium for the coverage, so I will have the joy of paying for two health insurance coverages. I could drop my current coverage, but then my family will go without health insurance, since I am the only one eligible for the Medicare coverage.

Like I said, I am glad that there are systems in place to help with the high cost of health care, but to be forced into a program that I do not want is something I do not agree with. In my opinion, the coverage should be for people who are not on a company plan and would be declined if they applied for an individual plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment