Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oh so close

So there's a little slow down in getting back on the list. I have to have 1 more test - the dreaded colonoscopy... because I am anemic and blood was found in a guaiac test they have to make sure there is no underlying issue. I had an upper endoscopy done last Friday and I received the results today - remarkable!! Yeah that is what was sent as a result - remarkable. I have never heard results stated like that before, but I have never doubted that I am remarkable!!

I was a little disheartened when on Thursday, my nephrologist said I had to do the colonoscopy. Not because I have to do the test, but because I have to wait to officially be listed until the test is completed, just one more thing I guess.

The good news is that I am not quite to the point of dialysis yet, even though I am only about 10% kidney function, he thinks we can hold off a little longer. Every time I go in, I expect him to say it is time. When it was time to schedule my next appointment, he said 4 weeks then changed it to 6 weeks!! I see that as a good sign. We have scheduled a tour of the dialysis unit though. I did a tour 10 years ago, but we thought it would be a good idea to go through again, and this gives Torre a chance to see what it is like.

I have already decided to do Peritoneal Dialysis (PD) rather than Hemo Dialysis (Hemo). It will give me a little more flexibility since I can do it at home, and dietary restrictions are not what it would be with Hemo.

The plan at this point is to wait until my kidney function is a little less than 5%, this way the transition will be a "little" easier and I will not be to the point of getting really sick and concentration levels will still be a bit in tact.

All in all I feel pretty good and my nephrologist seems to be satisfied with my current condition. I am not retaining water and I have actually gained weight (most people at this point start losing significant weight). I think if we could get my hemoglobin back up to normal levels (currently at 7.4, which if it were at 10 that would be great) I would feel great!!

For now I'll just take it 1 day at a time and see what happens!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment