Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Things to (not) look forward to

The symptoms of Renal Failure (Kidney):

-Fatigue and weakness (from anemia or accumulation of waste products in the body)
-Loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting
-Need to urinate frequently, especially at night
-Swelling of the legs and puffiness around the eyes (fluid retention)
-Itching, easy bruising and pale skin (from anemia)
-Headaches, numbness in the feet or hands, disturbed sleep, altered mental status and restless legs syndrome
-High blood pressure, chest pain
-Shortness of breath from fluid in the lungs
-Bleeding (poor blood clotting)
-Bone pain and fractures
-Decreased sexual interest and erectile dysfunction

With my first transplant, I was really not that well educated as to what would happen, and my transplant came so quickly, I am not sure I even realized what symptoms I had. This time around, a little more educated on the matter I have noticed some of the changes taking place.

At least for me, these are not all of a sudden things that are taking place, but rather gradual symptoms that I sometimes don't even realize until someone asks or I read about it somewhere. For example, fatigue and weakness, there are some days that are better than others, but walking up a flight of stairs I do notice that I am out of breath. High blood pressure, have had somewhat since the first transplant and take medications for it on a daily basis.

I have recently started to notice a little numbness in my hands and feet at different times and headaches more recently, and again did not know they were symptoms until a few days ago. I am fortunate in that I still have an appetite and am not nauseous unless I do not eat.

I am sure as this progresses I will notice more and more, of the symptoms and on a larger scale than what I do now. I am not sure what the trigger point will be for dialysis since there are a variety of factors that go into it. For example, how I am feeling and how I am tolerating how I am feeling; my blood levels etc.

Since I was not on dialysis last time, I am not really sure what it is like, but I have done the research into the different types and the pros and cons of each. I would like to stay off dialysis as long as possible, but just now getting onto the transplant list with the wait just under 2 years, I have come to the realization that it is a matter of time before the Dr. suggests it.

We will see what happens in the time ahead, I have a lot of angels and prayers, (which are always welcome), last time, I was only on the waiting list around 30 days and I subscribe to the thought that things happen for a reason. For now I have a positive attitude and a great support system!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment