Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The next phase is about to begin

So I got the call today... only it wasn't the call I wanted to get. When I answered the phone and heard that it was my Nephrologist, I knew what he was going to say before he said it. He suggested that we go ahead and proceed with dialysis.

Since I have already decided to do the Peritoneal Dialysis and toured the facility last week, it was an easier conversation with choices already made. The next step is to have the port inserted into my abdomen which will be done within the next week. On the positive side of things, I will not be starting the exchanges right away.

I am not quite to the point of being really sick and with the healing process around 2 weeks, this will give me the opportunity to ease into the exchanges. The other option is to wait and the possibility of being hospitalized would be greatly increased.

Although I am not looking forward to this procedure, it is much better than the alternative. I am thankful for my support system, family and friends, and especially for my great team of doctors who are aggressively treating me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment