Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Forgotten Anniversary

So 10 years ago yesterday, March 6, 2000, I received a call from the Ohio State University Medical Center. It was a call that changed my life. Yesterday came and went and it was in the middle of the night last night that I even remembered it. Yesterday was my 10 year anniversary of my kidney transplant.

I am not sure what to think about the day, the fact that the day changed my life, or a reminder of what I am currently going through. With the dialysis process starting, it is easy to think of all that I have recently been through and all the stuff that will be taking place, after all I am reminded every time I stand up and sit down.

The day is also a reminder of all the things that I have been able to do the last 10 years. I have been able to be employed, and enjoy my relationship with my wife. Most enjoyable would be the birth of my daughter Marin and son Tucker. We have been able to travel a little and experience things as a family that some people without health concerns are not able to do, I guess yesterday is a great reminder of how truly lucky of a person I am!!

Since I have started this journey and the blogging, I have had a lot of people tell me how they are impressed with my outlook on the situation. The truth is I just take it one day at a time and do what I have to do. After all, I did not choose to have this happen to me, so I make the best of what I have and control what I can control.

I want to thank everyone for the prayers and well wishes, they do mean a lot. I go Tuesday to have my catheter flushed and Wednesday have some final tests done before the dialysis begins, I am actually looking forward to the dialysis to have more energy!!

Happy Anniversary "Sidney the kidney"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment