Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Squad

I was at the dialysis unit yesterday for my weekly check-up and flush and just before I was called in, the paramedic squad was walking through the door. There was no rush, just a calm pace as the 4 men entered with tackle boxes of supplies and a stretcher, as a nurse held the door open for them.

It was hard to tell what exactly was going on as the Hemo and Peritoneal (PD) areas are separated and they were headed into the Hemo side as I entered the PD area. There was no commotion or hurried activity, just the presence of a paramedic squad.

When I asked my nurse if that happens a lot, she just looked at me and gracefully smiled and said, "yeah, we see them every once in a while". It was an interesting response, as the nurse who helps me is very nice and sincere and gives the impression that she has been doing this for a while. I really couldn't tell if it was a rare or frequent occasion, but it did give me the feeling, that they are not called unless it is absolutely necessary.

It brought home the feeling of how lucky I am. Sure I may be tired a lot, and low on energy, but I have a lot of things on my side. I am young, other than having a tube hanging out of me and a little high blood pressure - I don't have significant health problems. As a matter of fact, Torre was just saying the other day, there is an end in sight. I will be on my daily routine of 4 exchanges a day and having energy within a matter of a week and the transplant will be here before we know it.

I consider myself lucky because I have and end somewhere out there. I may not have an exact date, but I do have somewhat of a timeline. Torre and I talk a lot about what we are going through and are constantly overwhelmed with prayers and the nice things that people have helped out with.

Thank you to everyone who has helped us in one way or another and thank you very much for the continued prayers and support, they are very much appreciated!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great positive outlook you have Marc. You continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete